1. Check that you’ve activated your SIM.
If you ordered a SIM through our website, log in to your dashboard and tap “Activate my SIM”.
If you bought a SIM in store, other retailer, or received one from a friend, and haven’t created an account yet, go to smarty.co.uk/activate to sign up and activate your SIM.
You can also activate your SIM from our App! If you've ordered a SIM directly from us, log into your account and then tap 'Activate my SIM' to begin your billing month and start using data, calls & texts.
If you purchased a SIM in store, other retailers, or received one from a friend, and haven't created an account yet, load up the App and tap 'Join SMARTY' to sign up and activate your SIM.
2. Turn your phone off and take the SIM out of your device.
Put it back in again and turn your phone back on.
3. Check you’re using a 3G or 4G compatible device.
See this article for checking that your device is 3G or 4G.
4. Check that your phone is not locked to your previous network.
See this article for details on unlocking your phone.
5. Make sure you’re using the correct SIM card, and not the “Bonus SIM” for a friend.
You may have received an extra SIM in your SMARTY SIM package, which is enclosed in a separate smaller envelope marked as “Bonus SIM”. Your correct SIM will have been glued to the inside of the original packaging. If you're unsure, please contact support and we'll be able to let you know which SIM you need to insert.
6. Check that your device is connected to the SMARTY network.
See this article for information on checking your Access Point Name (APN) settings.
7. Check that you have a working signal.
8. Are you in the process of transferring your phone number over to SMARTY?
Transfers should happen within 1-2 business days.
You may experience a little downtime when the transfer is taking place, so don’t worry if you lose signal, or you’re unable to make a call or send a text. This is perfectly normal and only temporary.
You may also need to restart your device before everything starts working. You will receive a confirmation email when the port is completed.
See this article for more details on transferring your number.
9. Do you have auto-renew enabled? If not, check if the payment for your next month has gone through.
To check your last payment:
Log in to your SMARTY dashboard either online or through the app
Tap on your name at the top which will bring down the Menu
Go to “Payment history” from your Menu
If payment hasn’t gone through, your account will be paused. Check if
Your payment method is valid
Your payment attempt was blocked by your card issuer
Once you’ve entered a valid payment method, follow this link to renew your plan.
10. Test your SIM card in another phone or device.
11. If your SIM still isn’t working, please contact support via webchat. You'll find the icon to launch chat in the bottom right of your screen.
Web chat is available from 8am-8pm, 7 days a week.
If you need help outside of these times, you can still submit your question via web chat and leave your email address. We’ll reply as soon as possible.